Tuesday, October 17, 2006

These

Are a few



of my favourite



things

This post is in place of the one that should have come even before the one that was before this! But it's lost in bloggo-hyperspace stuck between two major corporations - Youtube and Blogger. Either there's a backlog at Youtube or an even bigger one at Blogger - it doesn't make sense and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I was a very impressionable and lively 12 year old when Christiane F came out. I remember seeing the trailer and really wanting to see the film - to this day I have never actually seen all of it. I have seen this clip somewhere before and I love it for two or maybe three reasons - firstly, it features one of the best tracks of all time - Heroes - beat that - difficult for some! But more so, it is beautifully shot and composed. I love the lyrical. tumbling teenagers, their vibrancy and sense of being alive and living for the moment. They seem to tumble at all the right moments as they dash through the dingy, empty mall to Bowie's epic track. It should feel fake and forced but it doesn't. I really did try very hard to get into see the film and failed on several occasions - mainly because I was too baby-faced and always very short for my age so there was no way I was ever going to pass for 18 as a 12 year old but I really tried. I probably looked like a child prostitute as well in my attempt to look older which I'm sure didn't help. But why make essentially a coming of age film and not allow teenagers to see it - because it contained scenes of drug-taking and the demise of the main character because of drugs? Even more of a reason to let teenagers see it surely?

I put up Kraftwerk - live in Utrecht 1981 because it simply is, is, is brilliant and I now know where Beck steals his ideas from. When I worked with him recently he did a great set which ended with him solo randomly punching keys into an electronic calculator that was wired up to an amp - wonderful. When I saw this today - I realised it is a direct steal - probably because he is a fan but even so - a direct steal. My one great regret is that I never saw Kraftwerk live. I remember wanting to go and see OMD instead - how absolutely mis-guided and foolish of me. I'm so ashamed. I hope I will get to see them some day.

13 Comments:

Blogger rockmother said...

whales? is that you?

10:28 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

Ah-hah. I see you are using the Youtube embed link. There'll be no stopping you now.

10:36 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

No there won't - can't belive how doomba I've been

10:37 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

ooh - live commenting - how exciting

10:37 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Dickley - are you in Canada?

10:38 pm  
Blogger Arabella said...

Men with waists - run away!
Have you heard the band 'Coloma'? They're not German. But they live in Cologne and they're a bit plinky.

1:22 am  
Blogger Pod said...

fantastic. thanks for providing me with my next fancy dress outfit nad accompanying dance moves (tho not far off from my own anyway).

my mum painted a moustache on my 14yr old brother so him and colin chisholm could go and see saturday night fever and they got in! can you imagine trying to do that these days and getting away with it?

9:16 am  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

Reminds me of Talking Heads. Yes I am sometimes in Canada. Sometimes in Thailand, Brittany and the Caribbean too. I've even been known to fly in and out of Gatwick on occasions for nostalgic reasons. I remember when it was a Spitfire station, then a racecourse then Freddy Laker's private runway.

3:52 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw that film in Amsterdam with my brother. It freaked me out, I mean, Amsterdam was a strange time anyway and it made me very nervous ... but intrigued.
For a few years when I came back to the UK on the magic bus we would stop in Brussels near a building with a huge rotating Mercedes sign on the roof. You'd have to see the film to get this reference.
I have a video of it - I bought it a couple of years ago, I was going to use a bit out of it in an project. I'd offer to lend it to you, but it's buried in my storage garage.

7:49 pm  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Oooh RoMo - I love Kraftwerk. Marvellous. I do love YouTube too. Isn't it great. Now I can find even more hours to spend on the Internet! Hee hee.

There was something I was going to ask you..but I've completely forgotten now I have been distracted by Krautrock...sorry. I am a dimwit.

8:53 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

Speaking of Krautrock, the new Depcast is up.

2:29 pm  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-06-28keyun
nike sb janoski
louis vuitton outlet stores
nike roshe run
nfl jerseys wholesale
fitflop shoes
louis vuitton purses
adidas nmd
longchamp le pliage
gucci handbags
kate spade handbags
adidas originals store
celine outlet
true religion outlet
tory burch flats
jordan retro 4
coach outlet
louis vuitton purses
cheap oakleys
montblanc pen
michael kors handbags
toms outlet
celine outlet
reb christian louboutin
coach factory outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses uk
air max 90
michael kors outlet
kate spade handbags
polo ralph lauren outlet
cheap basketball shoes
tiffany rings
timberlands
nfl jerseys
louboutin shoes
jordan retro 11
toms wedges
coach outlet online
louis vuitton outlet

1:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter