Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Hitchcockian World of Sudoku

Last night I was surrounded. A man standing in the rain on the platform engrossed in 'Mini Pocket Sudoku'. It's not right. The train arrived. The only seat left was a middle slot between two people as it happened doing bloody Sudoku - one of which was doing 'Devilish' level - looked really complicated and above all - boring. To make matters worse - and this is where I suddenly had 'The Birds' moment - a huge fat lady huffed and puffed her way on to the train at the next stop and sat opposite me. She reached into her bag and pulled out a print out of The Times daily Sudoku challenge. She finished it in a thrice and then, her appetite for the fiendish numbers not sated she pulled out a whole book of the stuff. She looked really smug as she turned to page 64 and began 'Killer Sudoku Advanced'. I tried to take a photo of her on my phone but the battery was low. Very frustrating.

I was surrounded. I turned up my ipod to full volume which uncannily was playing 'Scary Monsters' by Bowie - quite befitting in the circumstances. I tried to ignore the feverish scribblers scratching here and there over their little pages of numbers. Maybe they should ban Sudoku as well as smoking on London Transport. Goodness, what would they all do with themselves?

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Murphy said...

Will you stop writing about Sodoku? You're in danger of turning into one of these broadsheet columnists who turns to soduku whwne there's nothing else to write about.

11:53 am  
Blogger ems said...

People on the district line seem to have given up on this. I never started. Me and logic don't get on.

7:39 pm  
Blogger surly girl said...

i can't bear sudoku (or however the feck you spell it), or the irritating, smug, middle-aged people who laud it.

twats.

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter