Saturday, April 07, 2007

Babe Rainbow


When I was a kid we grew up with this picture. We always really liked it mainly for it's rainbow bright colours - it was just something that was just hanging around the house. It was printed on a poster sized piece of dented metal and was leaning up against the wall in the living room. It stayed there for years until it got slightly rusty which added to its charm. We never really understood or appreciated it's significance and it wasn't until I was in my 20's that I realised it was my Aunty Sue. She was a bloody icon but had a funny life. Quite a sad life really. She now lives quietly in the country teaching people art therapy and looking after very old people. I wish Blake would do a Babe Rainbow revisited but I don't think she would agree to pose in a bikini as she has filled out in her old age despite being still rather striking with her very bright fucshia pink lipstick and dramatic clothes.....and amazing memories. The colours in this reproduction aren't as rich as the real thing but you get the idea - she was the Kate Moss of her day.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger llewtrah said...

Good grief! My aunts were all rather staid and serious.

3:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool was your Aunt Sue? Hippytastic picture, RM.

5:46 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

So that's your Aunty Sue eh? Did she actually do any wrestling? There was a Bobbie Rainbow too I think....and a Liberty Blake.

7:06 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

This could be a design for a stained glass piece of art.
That'd be cool.

8:29 pm  
Blogger Lucy Diamond said...

Fantastic - what a fab aunt. Ooh, they knew how to make great posters in the Seventies, didn't they?

5:46 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

llewtrah - most my other aunts were - apart from Aunty Sue

Jimmy Pages Troosers - thank you - she was a bit of a one

DH - yes - thank you. No - I don't think she has ever tried wrestling despite the belt!

Ister - pop art glass - cool.

Lucy Diamond - good old Peter Blake. Welcome to romoworld by the way - everybody: this is Lucy - say hello.

9:09 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:11 am  
Blogger FirstNations said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:17 am  
Blogger FirstNations said...

your aunt was psychadelic! my aunts were boring and wore harlequin glasses.
she reminds me of the Kidd Valley Burger Babe! here is the url:

http://www.kiddvalley.com/history/history.html


and so forth.
good burgers, too.

12:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister still has this picture on her wall. It has moved with her from University, a failed first marriage, a highly successful second marriage.

She must have had it for forty years! And three kids.

If you look at the back of the image (it is painted on metal) you'll see details about her career, which included breaking her nose three times in the ring.

So yes did do quite a lot of wresling.

I have always like the image.

6:46 pm  
Anonymous Mrs H said...

I remember that picture too - Ours was also on sheet metal! I would have been about 9 or qo years old... I would love to have a copy of it now - anyone found one?

11:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter