Saturday, April 14, 2007

Off To Have A Flutter

I do like a bet. I have to limit myself to the two main horse events per year - Cheltenham and the Grand National (and occasionally Wimbledon for tennis) otherwise I really would be sinking 'Buie Breezers' round at Ladbrokes most days and I have to say I don't think that would be very befitting for a lady. But see above, Muriel Spark obviously liked a bet too so I am in good company. I can see how it can get out of hand especially as I seem to be naturally very lucky - or perhaps just good at picking horses so I have to exercise great control and wait for my twice a year flutter as above. My general rule of thumb is that I don't get greedy and 'over-gamble' - ie: pile on silly money just in case the outsider comes through and makes me very rich. I limit my stake, I bet on no more than 4 horses and I don't spend any winnings on further bets. I do study the form but not throughout the year - just the day before or day of the race and I only choose horses with Irish trainers. I always have - my little nod to the Irish side of the family perhaps? Going to the races is fun - the noise, the characters, the dodgy trilby-wearing bookies doing their funny hand movements, illegibly scrawled odds on their chalk boards and the similarly desperate losers and winners alike. When I was a small child, we went to the races in Herefordshire somewhere. My strongest memory was the buzz in the air and the sound of the horses hooves thundering on the ground as they came down the final straight. We weren't actually watching, my Dad made us kids lie on the ground and just listen - it was so exciting and I have never forgotten it. We got up at the last moment just as they were all chundering past in a loud, dusty streak. Brilliant. Right, off to study the going and the form. Toodlepip.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Dick Headley said...

I used to love going to point to point races when I was a kid. Found a discarded Tote ticket once and it paid 7 quid!

2:00 pm  
Blogger CT said...

So were you lucky on the National today? and if you were, what do you plan to spend your winnings on?!

4:34 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Dickley - ooh - lucky you!

Mimi B - I've just spent my winnings (not much this year but by utter fluke I did get the winner on a low outsider each way bet!). My son is now the proud owner of a revolting plastic ghost-catching Mystery Machine from Woolworths which he was promised if he was consistently good for 5 weeks. Luckily for him - he completed the star chart last night and I won enough to buy it - £20 or so and have a bit over. It's fun more than anything - more so this year than any other year it was anyone's race. The start was a shambles and there were alot of fallers - 40 horses started and only 16 completed the course. I don't think there were any casualties thank goodness.

5:16 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

this is cool! and even cooler for you when you win, huh!

6:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done! my sister, who only chooses horses with names that have some significance for her, did well on phil son run (or something). her son is called phil, y'see. it was a rank outsider but she backed it for a place at about 60:1. i love racing too - as long as you regard the stake money as what you're prepared to pay for the entertainment, it's fine.
(oh - and well done son for being such a good boy - carrot and stick, it's the only way, i've concluded)

10:02 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

Mucho congrats on your winnings. I hope your son has many happy hours with his new revolting plastic ghost-catching Mystery Machine from Woolworths.
He may even put the local Catholic priests out of business and earn some extra exorcism money. Beats doing a paper round.

8:30 pm  
Blogger llewtrah said...

I won the office sweepstake about 10 years ago and had to spend it all on drinks for colleagues. I got my money back in teh void National. And that's about it! I missed the national this year as we were ambling round Soho.

5:56 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

We've only just realised that the nasty plastic ghosts are radioactive and light up in the dark!

2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter