Saturday, July 14, 2007

Humorous = Annoying (Sometimes)


Perhaps it is just me but as I was mooching in the Books Section of last week's Observer (this week on major catch-up) it irked me that Bill Bryson is suddenly top of the books list....yaawwwwn.......again......zzzzz. I'm sure he is a very nice man but I find his cheerful, humorous writing rather annoying. For me I think he tries a bit too hard. His latest book is not a 'humorous travel book', a 'cheerful travelling companion' but a memoir.

You can read all about how Bill was made a CBE and read an excerpt from his latest The Life And Times of the Thunderbolt Kid here.

Mind you what do I know? I had to google 'spelling humourous' to work out how to spell it properly. Apparently the American way is the universal rule. Perhaps I should have consulted one of Bill Bryson's other publications: Bill Bryson's Book of Troublesome Words?

Bill Bryson books I have read: A Walk In the Woods, Notes From An Island and In A Sunburned Country (didn't finish).

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Dick Headley said...

He has a lively chatty style. Can be very funny. Bit like Michael Palin. It's easy to see why he's popular rm. Not bad for a septic.

3:06 pm  
Blogger CafĂ© del Nightmare said...

Whats happened to gay week on Romoblog? You were just hitting your stride when along comes bill bryson to ruin it all for everyone. Come on Romo, get your glittery leggings out!

4:03 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

he does write well when he's doing travelogues, but hands down, he's no michael palin! a man i would follow to the ends of the earth, btw...just saying, if the opportunity arose...not sure, if bill would be my choice on the appalachian trail

6:19 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

I'm quite relieved that you've put a picture up of him. I very nearly thought you were referring to Rob Brydon. They are clearly not the same person.

5:53 am  
Blogger tony said...

Yea.i know what you mean.he's a bit too nice.And,another thing,he actually likes England.Which is a most unEnglish attitude.....!

7:22 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Dickley - yes - but chatty in the worst sense of the word - like you want him to stop for a bit...

Simon Hilton International - gayweek has gone on tour with Barry - I'll see if I can dig some glittery leggings out

Savannah - I have met Michael Palin - he is a lovely, gorgeous man

Bill Grant - oh no - I love Rob Brydon - he's hilarious and a very clever writer

Tony - thanks for dropping by - yes - England's rubbish - and the weather! I don't know what was worse - too much rain or now this humidity - blah blah blah. Why are English people obsessed with the weather?

6:41 am  
Blogger Clair said...

I interviewed him once about ten years ago and was delighted that he was as lovely as I'd hoped. The tea tray collapsed, and we had a very British little joke about it. I love his collection of Mail on Sunday essays on life in the States, and borrowed my sister's copy of the memoirs, but felt I'd read it before, and abandoned it after a few pages. Have just finished Vic Reeves' autobiog though - not hilarious but warm, though...

2:44 pm  
Blogger Howesy said...

Is Bill Bryson not gay then?
I reckon my Gaydar needs a good service... (yells into the distance)... Barnesy!!

10:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iiiii'mmmmmmmm Fffrrrreeeeeee!!!

1:24 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

sooo, i'm in the bookstore and right in the middle of the aisle is a table of "summer reading" and who's picture and books do i see? billy bryson...and like a complete and utter fool, i started LOL...oh yeah, the real outside voice kind a laugh.... :) just thought i'd share, sugar

12:17 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

Savannahmama - very good - the power of blogging knows no boundaries x

6:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter