Friday, August 08, 2008

Sunny Duets of Sunny

One of my all time favourite songs is Sunny. There are many versions in existence - Stevie Wonder, Georgie Fame, Bobby Hebb and even James Brown and the Dee Felice Trio as featured on one of my earlier podcasts at some point within the last year. But here is really one of the finest and now very rare and unique versions of that song: Tom Jones and Ella Fitzgerald from a Tom Jones TV Special in 1970. I have the entire show on a very worn vhs tape which bears half a torn sticker with Tom Jones DO NOT ERASE scribbled across it in faded pencil. In fact - I must get it transferred to dvd before it totally crumbles. It features Tom Jones singing with Joe Cocker, Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Ella Fitzgerald and others. It really is wonderful. After years of searching youtube it has finally surfaced - it is at the wrong aspect ratio but nevermind - it really is something else. Here it is:



Tom Jones - the only welshman with soul and Ella whose voice sounded so young and so sweet even as an old lady. How to do a cover version properly page one. I hope you enjoyed it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

My favourite is by Boney M. (Speakers not working on my computer at the moment - bah.)

11:10 pm  
Blogger Momentary Madness said...

Beats drilling coal.
Great clip.

4:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and a stellar cast? Works for me. Snazzy boots too. Where can I get a pair, I wonder.

I bought a thingummy on eBay that's supposed to digitise VCR output so that you can burn it to DVD. Didn't work, it was utter shite. I remain unwilling to pay someone to convert my old VHS though. Especially my selection of rare erotica. It's educational, honest.

2:17 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

Good one mum.

2:29 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Jimster Troosterster - oh I am sure you can still buy those snazzy Chelsea boots - there is a guy that still makes them and as for your old Health and Efficiency tapes - cough - well, our local chemist has a conversion service - I am sure he has seen it all before!

Dickley - yeah - it's good isn't it? Isn't Ella bloody amazing?

10:01 pm  
Blogger Browner said...

Thank you for posting that terrific clip. Just what the Doctor ordered on this wet, grey day. Did you see that BBC4 documentary on Ella the other night?

4:54 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Brownerness - hello - yes it is a fab clip - no I didn't see the doc unfortunately

7:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter