Friday, January 09, 2009

Ron Asheton - A Humble Tribute


Ron Asheton has died. He was founder member and guitarist of The Stooges. The news of his death has been a great shock to many people - not just because he was such a great musician and a legend in his own right but also because he was a unique and most gentle individual. I count myself blessed to have met and chatted with him briefly late last summer. I'm not normally shy about meeting well known people I have such creative respect for but when you have taken so long to secure your most favourite band ever for your baby anti-format music show you can suddenly get a little hesitant. The momentous Iggy and the Stooges performed a set with a grindy groove worthy of an express train running over your head for forty minutes flat. It was hard not to leap up and whirl around or even want to rip your clothes off and flail about on the floor like a mad thing which for some reason listening to The Stooges always makes me kind of want to do. After the set I took a deep breath and went into the dressing room to say thank you. I was anxious to see that they had enjoyed it as the start was a little haphazard on our tv-land side. We hadn't finished lighting and in true Stooges style we all scrambled to attention at Ron's first and ever so punctual chord - crrrwaaaaahhhhh - wake up everybody! I also had trouble with a set that was meant to be closed - friends of the previous bands roadies and their mates/mother/assorted pets suddenly turned up lining at least one wall all gawping - some even filming - such disrespect. I wasn't going to be the one to ask The Stooges if they would mind stopping and start again in five minutes time once I had cleared the set of rabble. Not quite the done thing really. Anyway, afterwards I swallowed that breath and walked into the dressing room. I introduced myself and I have to say I have never met such a truly polite and grateful group of men. Ron went out of his way to introduce himself, find out more about the show and thank me. He was so kind and enthusiastic about what we were doing. So Ron I now thank you again for being the very heartbeat and backbone of something so special over the years with your Asheton sound. Prior to that day I have been lucky to see Iggy and The Stooges perform live twice in the last two years - once at the Royal Festival Hall as part of the Meltdown Festival where the venue was so small and the gig was so rocking I swear I have not been the same since and lastly at Clapham in 2008. I have always been struck with Ron's oddly graceful and static stance when performing - his delicate wrists and hands whirring so precisely over the frets of his guitar, one foot always forward of the other, his camo jacket and soft baby skin. It was a humbling and most gracious pleasure to meet you Ron. A unique and kind man of such undeniable talent and character. You have gone too soon. Big hugs for the journey and all the people you have left behind. My thoughts are with all of you - especially the band and tech crew who have lost a best friend and a true brother. Ron's light shines bright and very very loud. A happy jewel of a man from Ann Arbor, Michigan who finally got to enjoy the success he so most definately deserved.



Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my list of short stories that I intend to write but probably won't is one where someone gets mugged while wearing plug in earphones and listening to the Stooges at huge volume. The mugger grabs them and whirls them around while shouting something at them which of course they can't hear. The mugging turns into a grappling struggle, all to the soundtrack of Raw Power. I think I thought this up while walking down the street listening to same. Your line "It was hard not to leap up and whirl around or even want to rip your clothes off and flail about on the floor like a mad thing" is exactly what prompted the idea of a mad life or death struggle soundtracked to the Stooges. Goodbye Ron, we won't see your like again.

8:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my list of short stories that I intend to write but probably won't is one where someone gets mugged while wearing plug in earphones and listening to the Stooges at huge volume. The mugger grabs them and whirls them around while shouting something at them which of course they can't hear. The mugging turns into a grappling struggle, all to the soundtrack of Raw Power. I think I thought this up while walking down the street listening to same. Your line "It was hard not to leap up and whirl around or even want to rip your clothes off and flail about on the floor like a mad thing" is exactly what prompted the idea of a mad life or death struggle soundtracked to the Stooges. Goodbye Ron, we won't see your like again.

8:55 am  
Blogger Momentary Madness said...

Sad!
R.I.P Ron Asheton.

9:41 am  
Blogger Suzy Norman said...

I do love The Stooges, despite some of it being a bit heavy for my tastes... they always remind me of being young and wide-eyed in London for the first time as a teenager.
Bit young wasn't he?

1:30 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

Good tribute, Roster - and like Roman Empress said, he went too young, too quickly. Life's shit when this happens.

2:16 pm  
Blogger cyrano said...

"cast a cold eye on life and on death,
horseman pass by."

3:02 pm  
Blogger The Wolfmen said...

One of the few who really could claim to be a Godfather of Punk

4:41 pm  
Blogger Fluffy Pink Duck said...

So sad, a great tribute for a great musician. The Stooges were the music of my early twenties, great stuff.

8:21 pm  
Blogger Axe Victim said...

Very well written is that like. A nice perspective. x

4:50 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

Very nice tribute rockmum. I'm sure Ron would agree.

12:33 am  
Blogger West said...

Poor old Ron.

Mind you, I didn't feel too clever myself after seeing Iggy in that car insurance advert...

;?

xxx
Bob

11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter