Monday, November 03, 2008

Lose Yourself


I woke up this morning with the words 'big fat arm' in my head. Goodness knows why but I did. Anyway, I digress. I am so BORED of the BBC and The Daily Mail and reporting about the credit crunch. I couldn't give a stuff about whether Jonathan Ross should be reinstated or not. I don't care whether Jeremy Clarkson has hurt his pinky driving a truck into a brick wall or Terri Seymour has packed Simon Cowell. I care about real things like the little boy I saw running to school the other morning followed by his mother shambling after him with a can of Diamond White in her hand. The only good thing about it was at least he was going to school on time. How devoid of any dignity whatsoever must you be to drink at that time in the morning - on the school run? I wanted to grab the boy's hand and run with him - and keep running - far far away to a magic lovely land.

Anyway - what I really meant to post up was a little bit about the fantastic BFI Film Archive which you can now browse quite substantially on it's own youtube channel. Here is an excerpt from John Schlesinger's brilliant film Terminus - shot over one very busy day at London Waterloo Station in 1961.



my other favourites are 'Tea Making Tips':


'One Potato Two Potato':



and 'Unwanted Guests' (not for the squeamish).





Ta ra for now.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Momentary Madness said...

I was really enjoying it till ……. Ahhhhhhhhh, I’m off to shave everything, everything, I’m itchy all over.
I do like a proper cup of tea, I do I do;-)
Great stuff!

6:53 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

I think Mrs Perry was trying to lose Matthew. Foiled again!

Was it real or acted? Either that little boy was a genius child prodigy actor or John Schlesinger was a cold hearted bastard to film him crying like that!

7:56 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Momo Madster Darling - aaggh...I know! itchy scratch scratch scratch. Put the kettle on.

Gorgeous Lovely Annie - Poor little Matthew. Do you think Mrs Perry was having a cheeky port and lemon in the station bar? At that time, John Schlesinger was a wet behind the ears earnest film maker who just shot it all over one day. It was all real. Poor little boy.

11:31 pm  
Blogger Cooper Green said...

The boy broke my heart. Good for the stationmaster, entertaining him like that. And good for John Schlesinger for having the wisdom to let it all unfold the way it did. Nice little clip.

7:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six steps to tea? Pah!

Orwell, with his fierce insightfulness knew that there were more than six steps to making a good cuppa. Read and learn: http://tinyurl.com/6txrb
That's George Orwell people, the Ninteen Eighty-Four and the Aspidistra bloke, not some mad old biddy.

Mind you, those tea-people were naturals in front of camera. Perhaps they do have something.

12:29 am  
Blogger realdoc said...

ah but scabies beats headlice as an itch inducer

10:37 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

Cooperman - I know - you really feel his distress, he was trying so hard not to cry and good on him for initially resisting the station master. He wouldn't be allowed to use the typewriter now for health and safety reasons! Not that we have them anymore anyway..great filmmaking.

Jimmy Pages Troosers - they were hilarious weren't they? I wish life was more simple like that sometimes.

Realdoc - aaghhh - I see lots of addicts in Soho with what looks like scabies. My colleague caught scabies off one of them by giving him a light for a fag. Brrrr...

10:53 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

PS: Realdoc - oops I pressed go too soon - because he cupped his hands around hers when she gave him the light. She was too polite to pull away. I would be too.

10:55 am  
Blogger West said...

"...how devoid of dignity must you be to start drinking at that time of the morning???"

Come on Roister of Moister - go easy on the poor unfortunate socially inept waisterl of a lass...


...she started necking them back as early as she could...


;?

xxx
Bob

10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter