Saturday, June 02, 2007

You say Roumania I say Romania!

Goodness - I am on a creative roll this morning. There has been a bit of cultural talk over at Dick and Istvanski's over the last few days about Romania. Here are a few of my pictures from my weekend visit to Bucharest in June 2004.

The wad of notes on the table was what I got out of the cashpoint when I typed in £20. The currency was buggered and had so many noughts after it even the Romanians had trouble keeping up with adding up stuff in shops etc. Put it this way - there wasn't enough room on a normal calculator to calculate the total of a few simple items.

View out of taxi window. It had Aer Conditionat and you had to get in quick as the taxi driver didn't want to upset the temperature balance and let any hot air in!

Main drag. I had to go to a 'mall' to find something to wear for an end of shoot party. When I got there there weren't any clothes shops - just lots of people sitting around eating icecream and a plethora of plastic shoe and meat and chemist shops.

Up the road from the mall - bottoms on the side of a building. I took the photo and then started humming Queen's 'Fat Bottomed Girls (make the rockin' world go round)' to myself. Then I hailed another Aer Condiionat.

Serial Killer Chicken downtown....bloody Coca Cola everywhere ('ahh - coka cole - symbol of free West as Mr Balowski (Alexei Sayle) once said so profoundly in the Young Ones)

View from the hotel room at dusk. Quite grey. There is a lot of grey in Bucharest. Nice parks though and great antique shops stuffed full of art deco gems.

Ceaucescu's monstrous palace/bunker on mega wobbly zoom. The third largest building in the world after the Pentagon. 4600 chandeliers, a thousand rooms and hallways, 300 ft reception hall, nuclear bunker, 12 million pieces of marble, hideous.

Resting - feet on coffee table.

Thank you - that was Romania from a Sat lunchtime to a Sunday night.


Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Dick Headley said...

Very nice. Brings back some memories. I kept seeing great deals on (well) used Ladas.

4:54 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

Good God! That city looks bigger than I imagined it to be. It looks massive - half of it taken up by that parlaiment funkydelic building, which is huge in itself. That place could house the entire race of European gypsies and they could turn it into a big 24/7 club with dog fights, bear wrestling, bare knuckle boxing and weepy violin music to attract the punters to buy all that potato vodka.
It'll make tons of money. I'm on the next flight out.

I noticed those hotel choccies on the table. Were they nice?

5:40 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Dickely - cheers dear. I'm liking the new avatar. I really enjoyed my weekend there - ended up going to some sort of outdoor organised rave thing called The Love Park or something like that. Lots of transvestites miming to Elton John and lots of macho men in white linen trousers and slicked back hair. I remember drinking and laughing alot...

Istvanski - I don't remember it being that big really. The parliament of funkadelic was truly gargantuan and very ugly. The chocolates were from Benihana which was in the hotel. I seem to remember they were finished so yes - they were nice. Trust you to spot the chocolates...I've seen buckets of them in your photo's so please don't deny - I know you are a chocoholic.

7:08 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

You've seen buckets of chocs? BUCKETS?!?

I wish...

Choccy consumption is on hold. I'm waiting for someone to invent sugar resistant teeth.

7:47 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

I don't remember it as a big city. More like a large market town that somebody had tried to modernize. A real mish-mash of architecture...from Parisian boulevardes to Soviet modern office buildings plus all those apartment blocks.

Tip....if you want to get around Roumania try to find the minibus station in Bucharest.

9:33 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Ister - well ok..not exactly buckets but a big bowl of them on a keyboard somewhere. I'm addicted to 70% chocolate but the good thing is it's so rich you can only have very little.

Dickley - yes I noticed that and lots of the old buildings were really crumbling and faded. I just did walking or aer condionat - didn't do minibus..

7:03 am  
Blogger Istvanski said...

I'm only partial to Cadbury's.
Maybe Galaxy too on the odd occasion...














Twix...












Rowntree's and...














Suchard....














Tesco's/Sainsbury's finest...bit rich, but not too bad...















Sod the surprise, I actually get excited about the Kinder egg....


































I could go on all day...


































But I may start feeling sick in a spooky psycho-somatic way x.

10:31 am  
Blogger Arabella said...

Suitably chilling palace of a dictator. Shudder.

7:18 pm  
Blogger FirstNations said...

wow. bucharest looks...grey. and then in the middle of that you get butts on a building! and then more grey. and toes. and grey.
i may not change my vacation plans.

you are on my secret policemans other blogroll! i don't keep one posted anymore...the blogger switchover nuked my old one, and then i thought nah; screw it, too much trouble to fix and keep updated anyway.

3:17 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Ister - did you know chocolate was bad for migraines?!

Arabella - yes - like one big scary and menacing presence...

Firsty - ooh - secret policeman's blog? I'm over it - I swear it was the frightful combination of full moon and PMT that made me post such drivel x

7:03 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

Choccy? Bad for migraines?

I don't want to think about it.

By the by, just came in from Billy's. I'll try and get that 7 ages of punk onto DVD for ya in time for Motorhead if you want.

9:38 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

Ister - wow - great - thank you but only if it isn't too much trub x

12:34 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

new post, new post, move along now... :)

2:58 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Sav - no can do I'm afraid - up to my eyeballs - you'll all have to discuss the merits of Eastern Europe and chocolate and vintage punk amongst yourselves!

3:33 pm  
Blogger savannah said...

ok...will do...carry on..as you were... i'll have a sweet and listen to some vintage dead kennedys.. while i wait

12:49 am  
Blogger Istvanski said...

Good idea Savvy. I'm going to listen to 'Plastic Surgery Disasters', it's my fave DK album.

"I'm a terminal (terminal) terminal preppie..."

9:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter