Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Home Made

I made this as a surprise present for my Dad's 70th birthday in September. He was planning on moving from the dirty built up East End of London to rural Normandy soon after. The picture shows me, my brothers and my son all whirling and diving like little leaves from the city into the yellow autumn trees for him. It isn't a very good photo as my good camera broke just as I tried to get a record of the piece. It is a sort of picture within a picture. I started putting it together on the floor and then realised I had to move it onto backing paper in order to finally get it into a frame. I had to take it all to bits to do that. In order for me to remember where I had placed everything I needed to take a photo for reference. This photo then became the base of the piece from which everything else kaleidoscopically grew. There are little junctures of time in there like my son's first dive and my brother posing with his bike after winning his first bike race. The towerblock is actually one I took a picture of in Argentina, the trees are from Richmond on a cold February day and the rest is from history. I used sharp sewing scissors and extra strong Pritt. That's it. I did another one for a good friend last month. I might post that up soon. The yellow trees feature in that one too.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

The first look caught my eye - you spent quiet a time on it I say - really cool, I like it.
I' a bit crazy about visual art, I always wanted to take up photography, painting or such, made a slight effort and stopped. If I were you, and you can find the time- keep going.
I have a friend in Dublin a photographer who gave me a few tips one time - you probably know already, anyway, he mentioned
taking a photo of it and converting the photo back into a seamless photographic print, or using image-editing software- PhotoImpact is if I remember a reasonably good one, and you can get a free trail on line for 14 to 30 days, I not sure.
Great stuff- waiting to see the next one.
Cheers Mum.

4:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What boundless talent, RM. You are indeed, quite the renaissance girl.

Jimmy Page's Trousers

9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, I hope it's ok for me to include a link back to my site in my comments. Since Blogger arsed up their comment form to prevent non-Blogger commenters having URL's in their names, it seemed the easiest way.

Let me know if it bothers you, RM.

Jimmy Page's Trousers

9:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh it's lovely romo. i clicked on it to make it big. it kind of reminds me of those windmills on sticks you have when you're little. lucky dad.
xxx

12:03 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

Very nice rm. I bet you have Hockney looking over his shoulder.

3:58 pm  
Blogger Istvanski said...

It's the best type of present to give because of the time, effort and thought you've put into it. Excellent.

7:24 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Seanster - I didn't really spend that much time on it - I did it quite quick. 21:00-0200 and then another hour in the morning to secure and frame. So not too long really but the thinking time was quite exhausting. I was so excited about him opening it.

Jimmy Pages Trooserster - Why thank you Jimster. I'm not quite sure what renaissance girl means but thank you all the same. No...link away..that is what the blogosphere is for.

Rivergirliester - oooh thanks. It's not very sharp big but glad you liked it anyway. x

Dickely - I doubt it but thank you x

Isterness - it was a vision that turned into a reality and hopefully a little happy piece in my Dad's heart x

12:37 am  
Blogger savannah said...

well done, sugar! you are a most thoughtful & talented daughter! *hugs*

(hopefully, next year we'll all meet for a drink in ole london town ;-) )

7:44 pm  
Blogger Alan said...

"A meetin' in London town"
Make mine .......
(((((("You get a shiver in the dark
It's raining in the park but meantime
South of the river you stop and you hold everything
A band is blowin' Dixie double four time
You feel alright when you hear that music ring
Way on down south, way on down south London town"))))))
........ a pint and a small one.

1:56 pm  
Blogger qqqqqq said...

0619jejebasket nike femme
nike soldes
pandora charms outlet
off white clothing
coach outlet online
ultra boost 3.0
nfl jerseys
louboutin shoes
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors outlet

6:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter