Monday, August 11, 2008

Meme Myself and I


Meme. Oh it's all the rage you know - so I have jumped on the memewagon while it is trundling down the road - a smattering of my favourite bloggers The Urban Woo, Billy, and Slaminsky have done it too. Here goes:

1. My uncle once: threatened my Grandmother’s unrequited lesbian stalker with a steel fire poker

2. Never in my life: been skiiing


3. When I was five: I stuck silver stars on my face and pouted


4. High school was: unforgivably the worst


5. I will never forget: my friend who I wish was still alive


6. Once I met: Diana Dors at a film premiere as a child


7. There’s this girl I know: whose passive aggressive nature really upsets me


8. Once, at a pub: I poured a whole pint of beer over a bloke’s head who was patronising me as he dumped me – he was a really screwed up psychoanalyst who eventually left the profession


9. By noon, I’m usually: starting to lose concentration


10. Last night: I tried to get my partner to understand it was better for him to move out than disrupt our child further by me and our child moving out


11. If only I had: a magic flying carpet


12. Next time I go to church: it will probably be for my beloved and most favourite godfather’s funeral – I am dreading it.


13. What worries me most: me or my son dying in a freak accident and apart


14. When I turn my head left I see: a lovely dark chocolate brown Robin Day Forum sofa and me reflected in a big mirror behind it


15. When I turn my head right I see: fruit, a book by Ronan Bennett, plasticine that has been cut into dalek shapes, the garden


16. You know I’m lying when: I insist and my voice goes so unbearably shrill it could shatter a glass


17. What I miss most about the Eighties is: being able to wear really slutty clothes and get away with it and fun


18. If I were a character in Shakespeare I’d be: in the Comedy of Errors


19. By this time next year: I'll have hopefully sorted out what is currently plaguing me


20. A better name for me would be: Ms A Polaris – like a missile and straight to the point


21. I have a hard time understanding: sudoku – why does it exist?


22. If I ever go back to school, I’ll: burn it down


23. You know I like you if: I invite you to places and chat incessantly in a very open way


24. If I ever won an award, the first person I would thank would be: the person that gave me the break in the first place


25. Take my advice, never: lie – it’s so disappointing


26. My ideal breakfast is: scrambled or soft-boiled eggs on toast with ketchup and hot chilli sauce and a light dusting of freshly ground black pepper


27. A song I love but do not have is: “Don’t You Think I’m Psycho Mama”? by Leon White (weird Country and Western)

28. If you visit my hometown, I suggest you: have a pint by the pond


29. Why won’t people: stop being so horrible to children?


30. If you spend a night at my house: you would be cooked for, have endless wine poured into your glass, have lots of chats and probably stay up far too late – there would be lots of laughter, music and even an odd game of Scrabble if you are lucky and you would be encouraged to help yourself to anything and you would have towels that would be placed neatly at the bottom of your bed


31. I’d stop my wedding for: someone else suddenly coming along at the last minute who was the ‘real one’


32. The world could do without: BT, McDonalds and the politics of fear


33. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: have to go on the game for a living


34. My favourite blonde(s) is/are: Cate Blanchett, Debbie Harry, Captain Sensible and Iggy Pop


35. Paper clips are more useful than: those string tie document fastener thingys


36. If I do anything well it’s: because I can’t bear unthoroughness


37. I can’t help but: worry about stuff past gone or in the future


38. I usually cry: really easily – even on the train reading a sad story in the free newspaper


39. My advice to my child/nephew/niece: do what you like and be who you like but don’t bother with hard drugs


40. And by the way: life is what you make it

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Nice answers! I especially like your favourite breakfast. Why is there no food in my house?!

Awwww... I am thinking of you my dear xxx

8:06 am  
Blogger Momentary Madness said...

The world is what you make it baby.
Come and ski in Finland.

9:40 am  
Blogger Axe Victim said...

I've never been on skis. Just as well though. I'm a city type.

What you need is a good night out girl! I'm going to see Beautiful Losers on Friday and you should come along. Bring a crowd and we can all get wrecked. Train runs through your stop on the way - it's at the White Heart in Barnes on Friday night. Shout if you fancy it?

10:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about your ten, RM. Hope things work out for you and the squidget.

Never thought of chilli sauce on my breakfast eggs but I'm gonna. Just think - there was a whole meal every day that had been chilli-free. That will never do.

1:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. 33 - Damn! And I've been saving up for ages too.

7:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You met Diana Dors as a child? I'd never have guessed you were that old.

7:24 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Annie - cheers - when you next come over I shall cook that breakfast for you. And thank you for thinking! xx

Momo Madster - yes the world so is - you are right Momo. Can you ski in Finland?

Axeminster Victim Man - thank you Axer - will try but highly unlikely at mo - am staying close to home for the wee one xx

Jimmy Pages Trooserster - yes - I'm quite sorry about no10 too but enough is enough. Congrats on your shortlist - brilliant news.

Who's A Naughty Boy - phnar phnar - cheek!

Listen To What I Said (aka Who's A Naughty Boy Then - I'm not that old! Diana Dors was old (and a bit bloated I recall but soooo nice - she called me sweetie) and I was 8 or 9 at the time.

9:58 pm  
Blogger Momentary Madness said...

Can you ski?
The best time to ski is Jan/Feb when (and if) the weather is mild. minus 10 to 15 makes the snow a little hard to maneuver on- it becomes like ice. However the cold weather does vary and if you live here you can take advantage at the given opportunity.
The local council provide winter sports facilities- the public playing fields which are divided into two sand and grass surface. The sand surface is watered - when the winter proper starts - till a thick ice is formed and then the machines maintain the smooth surface over the six months of fucking freezing winter. Yon can skate fre of charge all day and night till the flood lights go out bout nine or ten, o yes and there’s usually music too.
Around the town there are small lakes with walk ways which cease to be walk ways (forbidden) in winter. The ski track machines make duel tracks left and right just like road traffic. The tracks are about six inches deep where naturally you skis fit snugly into and off you go. Great for beginners, but everybody uses them- in fact that’s all I can use. You wouldn’t catch me going down hill.
I was quite amazed when I saw the machines slowing making tracks around the lake. I was walking naturally being a foreigner and not being familiar.
Other than that you can rent ski-dos Quads with skis and drive around on the wide open lakes.
You have to have someone who knows a little, a guide because if you get lost breakdown you may have a mobile phone but if you’re not properly dressed (in minus 15 to 20) you could lose your fingers in 40 mins. And freeze to death (if you somehow managed to get wet, the cold sets in very fast)
I’m going on. Enough.

7:16 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

Momo Madster - wow - Finland sounds great and very civilised in a community way. Can I ski? No! But skiing sounds and looks fun for sure.

8:37 am  
Blogger FirstNations said...

AHA YOU ARE FOUND!!!

that am a good meme. i just may gank that sapsucker. now i must backread. been missing you! and your music!

4:02 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

Re: number (1). That sort of thing happens in every family, doesn't it?

Hope you are okay x

10:32 am  
Blogger Istvanski said...

No 31: The fact that that you're prepared to settle or even consider getting married to someone who isn't the 'real one' is worrying.
But seeing as though this is meant to be a fun meme, we'll let you off.

2:00 pm  
Blogger Suzy Norman said...

I wouldn't go on the game either, I'd rather starve. I could be a madam though, at a push...

10:15 am  
Blogger savannah said...

the things we learn about each other, sugar! ;-) xoxox

5:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tra la la - you are lovely. xx

10:00 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

HRH Firstness: (I am curtseying) YES! I am here - have been sort of hiding and lurking and occasionally lurching forward to comment here and there. Oh I have been missing you too - will try to adjust the lack of music for you. Wait?! What? You can listen now? HURRAY! XX

Betty - oh yes - all the time in my functionally dysfunctional upbringing! Am fine and striding forth like Boadicea whilst inwardly cringing like a delicate nervy flower..x

Isterness - no - I meant in a cartoon Shrek like way - ie: I thought I was marrying 'the one' but then there was a choir of angels and a bright light and then the real one appeared and everyone started singing Happy Day with a solo from James Brown - so a bit tongue on cheek really on no 31. xx

Roman Empress - I agree - I would make a fabulous madam - organised, good on the phone and excellent at tidying up and making tea

Savmarshmamama - oh I know - it's shocking isn't it xxx

Rivergirlie - tra la la - you are too! xxx

7:09 am  
Blogger Ad said...

Never mind the quizzes. Where's the podcasts?
Get moving girl.

I've done another over at Radio Wunderbar to get you skanking.

9:14 am  
Blogger Axe Victim said...

Finger out chop chop!!!

9:58 am  
Blogger behindblueeyes said...

Lesbian stalker. That's funny! Sounds like my family. It sounds like you have had an iteresting life.

1:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter