Friday, January 23, 2009

Barometer a la Pete Tong

(Out of respect I felt I had to leave Ron up for a decent amount of time - at least until the funeral had passed - which it now has). And so....

Each quarter I receive an e mail from a property auctioneer. I must have subscribed ages ago in a fit of pre-bust property nosiness. Anyway - this latest list I thought was a rather interesting and sombre barometric reminder of what is going on out there.

Our February sale once again contains a range of commercial investment properties located throughout the UK, including :-
An unbroken modern City centre parade in Bradford part let to the local authority, Starbucks & J D Wetherspoon
8 Bank investments let to either HSBC Bank Plc, Nationwide, Barclays or Nationwide.
5 well let supermarket investments trading as Iceland

10 public house investments with surety from Punch Taverns
A well located Department Store Investment let to Debenhams in Kings Lynn
A restaurant investment let to Café Rouge in Ruislip
Other investments let to Superdrug, Co-op, Clinton Cards, William Hill and BSM

Evidently it's all going a bit 'Pete Tong'....

Personally I would rather buy the Withnail cottage (if I had any spare cash - which I don't!):

A snip apparently at £145,000 GBP. More details here.

Still depressed? Listen to my podcasts - bound to cheer you up (no I haven't done a new one yet but am working on it!)

Ta ta. xx

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if Monty turns up in the dead of night?

1:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chazza: Glad to see no Woolworths stores on the list. . .a real loss to many of our childhoods memories (mine at any rate. . .) saved up pocket money for latest chart hit singles and albums. . Sad. . Sad day. . .first sesame street, Grange Hill. . .now Woollies. Boo hoo. . .lol x x x

1:35 am  
Blogger Mondo said...

Haven't seen Withnail (yet), and guess who's working on his first podcast? Me! Even got a couple of sleb guests lined up too

9:55 am  
Blogger Billy said...

Is there a more dispiriting thing than a Cafe Rouge in Ruislip? Well... apart from a Wetherspoon in Bradford.

I saw the Withnail house was for sale: "We've come on holiday by mistake!"

11:11 am  
Blogger Geoff said...

Steer clear of anything containing the word "Iceland"!

1:25 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

I'm going to buy all the former Clinton Cards shops for my exciting, top secret new business venture.

We may be in a recession, but I'm bucking the trend. 2009 is going to be MY YEAR.

1:35 pm  
Blogger Momentary Madness said...

I vaguely remember Withnail and I and I can’t get together what caught me about the story- it’ll come to me I guess after I’ve made this comment; the story of my life.

The farm house - two miles from the nearest public road - not for me. Edward Holt, said: "Sleddale Hall is in one of the quietest parts of the Lake District. I like it quite but I like divine decadence at my finger tips when I feel the urge. (I need a crown of people, but I can’t face them day to day) he said: "I hope it is bought by someone who can restore it. It would make a lovely family home."
Jesus, for who Hector the hermit? (nobody knows who he is- because he’s a hermit)

I off to listen to your pod cast, your voice full volume -160 watts per - up against my ears- what a buzz.

4:04 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Gerry - you have to draw your knees up to your chin and shout "Monty! You cunt!"

Chazza - I know - there will be nothing left soon

Mr Mondo Bongo - WHAT? You must watch it immediately! Hurray - looking forward to mondocast greatly! (Saves me from doing one) x

Billster - I know - bagsy the unbroken shopping parade (as opposed to a broken one I guess - whatever that may be?)

Geoffster - I never go anywhere near where Kerry and Nana Colleen have been but thanks for reminding me ;-)

Bettster - I bet Bill Clinton will be really sad to see his card shop chain go down (fnar fnar!)

Momo Madster - yes - Withnail is a fine film and yes - I think I would go a bit mad too if I turned that cottage into a 'family home'. Like all estate agents he is bad at selling or convincing anyone he is telling the truth and/or believes in what he is saying. Don't listen too loud - you will go deaf. What? Exactly! x

1:10 am  
Blogger Axe Victim said...

I'd give anything for the Withnail cottage. To 'do it up' would be a crime. Mondo ought to be shot for not having seen W&I. One of the most quotable movies of all times.
Perfumed Ponce!

8:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter