Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Reasons To Be Cheerful

I love the silver and black Marilyn wallpaper of Maxim's Sex Shop in Soho and I have been meaning to photograph it for years. I haven't ventured into the shop proper. Somehow I don't think their budget extended to classy wallpaper for the main shop do you? What if they decide to give it a bit of a spruce up and paint over it in Magnolia or Misty Buff - it would be such a shame.

I went for a walk.

Anna and Pat - Pat and Anna. They obviously feel enough for each other to do this:


I must go and see if it is still there this week. Perhaps taxpayers money extends to bolt-cutting people's padlocked love for each other off random London bridges? Perhaps Pat or Anna might get fed up and have to do it themselves one day?

My favourite font of all time - because it reminds me of the beauty of Letraset and a bygone age:


If you want to know how to write or spell 'wet paint' in Chinese - please refer here:


Or you could lose yourself in these reflections instead:


Or you could look down and watch this person having a quiet moment by the river instead:


Then you could look up and see the beautiful lanterns fluttering in the breeze (again):


Or just go somewhere else and work out which one you've got. I've got that one, that one and that one...

Meanderings.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Ooh what a fantastic sets of pictures. I really like that wallpaper, I wonder if it's available in the shops.

9:11 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

Glorious - I am really enjoying your photo posts. The Marilyn one convinces me (if any further proof were needed) that we are kindred spirits, I've been meaning to photograph it for years too xxx

10:06 pm  
Blogger Annie said...

I've got my eye on the record shop photo for the fanzine... would you...? could I...?

10:07 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Billster - Thank you Billy. I WISH that wallpaper was available in the shops. Perhaps I can steam it off bit by bit each time I go past until one day I'll have a whole roll.

Annie - ha ha - that's so funny and thank you. Kindred spirits indeed - I was planning on doing a little piece inspired by that very photo before the looming Thurs am deadline - ie: tomorrow evening for you.

12:17 am  
Blogger Istvanski said...

I've never noticed that Monroe wallpaper, as it's not the kind of establishment I frequent. :-P
I agree, the pictures are fantastic. I love Pat/Anna's padlock. It can be symbolic in a good or a bad way - a photo that makes you think!
Nice one.

12:41 am  
Blogger rockmother said...

Ister - thank you for compliments. Maxim's? Oh me and Annie are up there all the time ;-) checking out the wallpaper. The photo's are very hi-res - there are quite a few things you can't see like the pigeons on top of the letters of the Royal Festival Hall unless you open them. Yes - the padlock is brilliant. Do you think Pat and Anna are male/female or female/female?

7:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah, I've only got that one and that one. You win, RM.

8:13 am  
Blogger Alan said...

Beautiful reflection, do I detect a tad #, or is my reflection?
#"There's comfort in melancholy
When there's no need to explain
It's just as natural as the weather
In this moody sky today."
Really, a very nice meander.

11:14 am  
Blogger Istvanski said...

I did wonder wether it was a hetero or same sex couple but I suppose it's the symbolism that's portrayed in your photo that really matters. It's got to be female/female as males aren't that idealistically romantic.

12:22 pm  
Blogger llewtrah said...

Misty Buff in sex shop. Sounds like an adult films actress!

8:17 pm  
Blogger Dick Headley said...

I know it's Sam Cooke (of course) but for a moment I thought it was Hitler twisting the night away in a Munich beer hall.

4:12 pm  
Blogger rockmother said...

Jimmy Pages Trooosers - oh it doesn't matter - which ones have you got?

Seanster - thank you - I really like that photo - it is currently on my desktop - I like all the layers. No - I am not in it - I took it from a funny angle on purpose. Glad you enjoyed the meander.

Ister - yes - I automatically assumed it was female/female.

Llewtrah - Miss D Buff!

Dickley - schnell! schnell! I know what you mean

4:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh - puts me in the mood, let's go for a walk and soon! x

9:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Who links to me?
Web Counter